More than 40 Years of Excellence
BRITA GmbH is the world's leading provider in the field of water filtration. Starting out as a one-man operation a good 40 years ago, this Taunusstein-based company has long become an internationally active corporation. And yet BRITA is still family-owned, and takes very seriously its responsibility for society, the environment, its staff and the quality of its products.
BRITA is the inventor of the water filter jug for private use. Today the company develops, manufactures and distributes innovative drinking water filter solutions for the household and efficient solutions for use in large appliances in the hospitality industry and vending machines in over 60 countries on all five continents. Accordingly, BRITA is the only truly globally operative provider in this sector. The company is one of the "hidden champions": companies that have discovered a market niche, opened up a market for this niche and develop this market continuously.
A modern company with broad filtration solutions
BRITA is synonymous with household water filters and produces a wide range of jug water filters and cartridges for domestic use. Moreover, recognizing the broader applications for its innovative technology, BRITA has expanded its field of activity far beyond household consumer products. Since 1980, BRITA has been manufacturing water filters for professional use in coffee and espresso machines, vending machines, steamers, conventional ovens, dishwashers and drinking water dispensers with a fixed tap connection, improving food and beverage flavour and presentation and raising cost-efficiency. BRITA’s third field of operations, BRITA Integrated Solutions, comprises partnerships with international manufacturers of domestic appliances, including BSH Bosch Siemens Haushaltsgeräte GmbH, Cloer, Breville, Morphy Richards and Pegler, who integrate BRITA’s household water filter cartridges into their appliances to offer their customers the advantages of BRITA filtered water.
Some facts at a glance
- Established in 1966 by Heinz Hankammer, BRITA is an owner-managed family company with around 950 staff worldwide. Since 1999 it is run by the second generation in the person of Markus Hankammer.
- Production takes place in Germany, the U.K., Switzerland and India (joint venture).
- BRITA products are distributed worldwide to more than 60 countries on all five continents by subsidiaries and a joint venture.
Worldwide turnover in 2008 was around €275* million, * provisional figure prior to 2008 annual accounts.
- Products include:
- Water filter systems and cartridges for domestic use: jug water filters, on tap water filters and water dispensers;
- Water filter systems and cartridges for commercial use for coffee machines, vending machines, steamers, dishwashers and Point-of-use water dispensers with a fixed tap connection (Water coolers);
- Water filter cartridges integrated into partner domestic appliances in kettles, coffee and espresso machines, water dispensers and water chillers, BRITA filtered water fresh from the tap and fridge/freezers.